Clients often seek the help of a family law attorney when they are facing difficult and emotional concerns for themselves or their children. Certain complex legal issues can no doubt become expensive. However, as a client, there are some actions you can take to minimize your legal fees for family law.
- Request copies of documents via email, to cut down on letters, copies, and postage.
- Cooperate with your family lawyer. Accept advice, stay in contact, and respond promptly to requests for information.
- Identify your goals and focus with your lawyer on achieving them.
- Understand which battles are worth fighting. Arguing over every point leads to high legal fees for family law.
- Have regular discussions with your lawyer about legal fees. Review the monthly bills carefully. Your lawyer should be able to explain the purpose of all work billed.
- Seek assistance from appropriate sources. Try to avoid using your lawyer like a (very expensive) therapist. Your lawyer can and should help you through difficult emotional times, but it is wise to consult a therapist, usually covered by health insurance, for non-legal counseling.
- Inquire into alternative legal fees arrangements, including limited representation, flat fee, or hybrid billing rates.